Preserving the environment, the essential natural setting for the discipline, is a major issue for the Rallye du Maroc.
ODC is stepping up its action, edition after edition, at the pace of its own means and the resources provided by partner companies.
The environmental program of the Rallye du Maroc has 5 components:
1/ The regulatory framework
Strict application of the international rules defined by the FIA and FIM environmental codes, as well as national rules in conjunction with the Moroccan motor federations FRMSA and FRMM and the local authorities.
Among the key measures:
- Strict respect on the route and facilities validated in close collaboration with the local authorities.
- Protection of soils where vehicles park (assistance park, refueling area in the Bivouac) with environmental mats.
- Checking the noise level of the vehicles, which must comply with the maximum levels imposed.
- Collection points for technical waste in the paddock: fluids thanks to the involvement of Afriquia, used tyres.
- Assistance vehicles on the route to collect competitors’ vehicles and parts from the surrounding area and bring them back to the bivouac.
- Dismantling of the Bivouac and all the structures in order to restore the sites in their natural state.
2/ Optimising selective waste sorting and recycling
In Morocco, the selective sorting, collection and recycling of waste are normative provisions in force. As in many countries, their application sometimes requires reminders and an awareness for the service providers and their staff, as well as for all the actors involved in the Rally caravan.
ODC undertakes to take the following measures:
- Selective sorting of household waste at the Bivouac and throughout the Rally: non-recyclable and recyclable waste.
- Waste collection in conjunction with local authorities and companies in the sector.
- Maximum use of reusable and recyclable products.
- Reducing paper printouts as much as possible by using digital media as much as possible.
- From the 2023 edition, the digital road book will be compulsory for all competitors.
- Since 2022, car, ssv and truck competitors have been required to use the digital road book on a tablet.
- Raising awareness of good practice among all interested parties in the framework of the event, also applicable in their daily lives.
3/ Limiting and eventually offsetting the event’s carbon footprint
Once the route has been defined, the priority remaining the sporting interest, Event configuration so to limit the carbon emissions of the vehicles of the organisation and the teams in the Kingdom.
Start/finish points as close as possible to the Bivouac to limit the travels made by organisation and assistance vehicles.
Provision of free shuttles/buses wherever possible to encourage the use of public transport to get to the various key points depending on the configuration of the event: airport/Bivouac, Bivouac/hotels or departure/arrival.
Offsetting the event’s carbon footprint through a local solution that has a direct and visible impact, with the leitmotiv of direct return for the local population:
- As a continuation of the fire prevention action carried out in the Aoufous palm grove during the 2019 edition of the Rallye du Maroc, ODC is involved in helping to replant the palm trees destroyed by the fire over the medium term.
- The ultimate aim is that, as they grow, the date palms will sequester a carbon equivalent that will gradually offset the emissions generated by successive editions of the Rally since 2018. Their use will also help to offset the loss of income suffered by the local population as a result of the fire.
4/ Other actions planned to protect the environment
ODC is considering the following actions in the near future:
- Promote the use of electric vehicles on the Rallye du Maroc by adapting the necessary regulations.
- Promote the use of low-emission fuels.
- Move towards an energy self-sufficient bivouac by increasing the proportion of green energy produced on the Rally through the installation of photovoltaic panels.
5 / Educate in good environmental practices
Production of content in order to raise awareness among the players of the Rally and more generally to the fans and the Moroccan population:
- Press releases, posts, thematic videos.
- Publication on the digital platforms of the Rally: website and social networks.
- Involvement of internationally renowned driver ambassadors to reinforce the impact and spread the message.
- Information on the event site: specific signage, video messages, reminders at key moments (press conference, briefings).